My Small Kucing Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Fragile Things ; Short Fictions & Wonders by Neil Gaiman

This is a collection of 31 short stories, some in the form of stories some in the form of poems.

This is the 2nd Neil Gaiman book which I have read and I can say that now I am a confirm fan of his writing.  It's extraordinary how he can come out with so many different stories...from Narnia type to Matrix type..to ancient Scottish type. I sense that he is impressive with Narnia as at least two of the story in this book makes reference to that.

Reading this books makes me feel that Neil Gaiman is playing and teasing the readers. Making the reader's brain work instead of following what's written down blindly. It's like duelling swords whereby words are his swords.

When I was reading "The Problem of Susan", I thought I caught what the plot of the story going to be at the beginning but  touché! he won again. The ending was not what I had expected.

Another story which I liked was "Goliath". It was something like the movie "Matrix" with a sinister plot.

As in most collection of short stories, there are certain stories which I won't claim that I caught on fully of it's meaning and wits. This is because my knowledge is not as wide as I would like it to be. Yes, I think for those who seldom read or those who stick to only on or two genre of books, they will not be able to understand what's written. Like what I have mentioned earlier, the stories here are linked to almost everything from Arabian nights, Sherlock Holmes, Narnia, Matrix, myth and legends to fairy tales.

Neil Gaiman is indeed a brilliant author and I look forward to reading more of his books.

6 comments:

  1. i was first acquainted to gaiman through his 'sandman' graphic novels. very tight story that wraps up all the different storylines nicely in the last book of the series.

    maybe you may want to have a read, but it's pretty (graphically) brutal at places. he also changes the style of his art in each book which is ace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. empyreal

    will try to get my hand on the Sandman series

    Thankd :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read several books of his. Try these:

    1. Graveyard book
    2. American Gods and Anansi Boys (these books are the novels related to the Monarch of Glen novella, one of short stories in Fragile things).
    3. Neverwhere
    4. Odd and the Frost Giants

    I really love his books, i still cant deny the frustration of knowing that they will be no continuation for Odd and the Frost Giants and the Gravyard Boy.

    Sandman are a bit garphic, but it really show the base of the characters taht he wrote in some of his works..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read several books of his. Try these:

    1. Graveyard book
    2. American Gods and Anansi Boys (these books are the novels related to the Monarch of Glen novella, one of short stories in Fragile things).
    3. Neverwhere
    4. Odd and the Frost Giants

    I really love his books, i still cant deny the frustration of knowing that they will be no continuation for Odd and the Frost Giants and the Gravyard Boy.

    Sandman are a bit garphic, but it really show the base of the characters taht he wrote in some of his works..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lala

    Thank you...will look out for these titles especially at the coming BBWS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lala

    I have number 4. Like it. Are you in Goodread.com? Try pop by there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Do drop a comment if you have feel like it.

Meantime, happy reading and have a nice day!