My Small Kucing Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Please forgive me for I have not updated this blog for over a month. A lot happened during this time. I have read many books during this period and some I find that it's a waste of my time and space to blog about it here.

Anyway, I "encountered" this book titled "Shantaram" which I feel that I must note it down in this humble blog of mine.

I bought it from The Big Bad Wolf Sale 2011. In the beginning I was reluctant to buy this book as it has 936 pages. I was doubtful whether I have the patience to read it till this end. However, I bought it due to recommendation of a friend whose taste in books I trusted.

The story is about an escape convict, Lin, who managed escape from a maximum security prison in Australia and made his way to Bombay. Being a foreigner there, he was game to immerse himself to their culture. Hence begins his venture to the Bombay under world

In the beginning he was accompanied by his faithful friend Prabaker whom he just met. With Prabaker as his guide, they venture into the world of beggars, slums, prostitute and eventually Lin got involved with wars.

In Bombay, Lin also met the woman that stolen his heart.

I find that this story is very captivating with exception on the war part.

what kept me hooked to this book is the story of the author himself. He was actually imprisoned in Australia and he escaped. He spent 10 of his fugitive years in Bombay. The story of Lin is sounded very similar to the life story of the author.  I can't help thinking that maybe some of the events in the book are based on true story instead of fictional.

 I would recommend you to grab a copy for yourself if you can. It's that good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Do drop a comment if you have feel like it.

Meantime, happy reading and have a nice day!