My Small Kucing Blog

Saturday, September 24, 2011

I'm Not Sick, Just A Bit Unwell by Yvonne Foong

This book was recommended to me by nylusmilk when I went to the Subang Jaya Book Exchange Programme last Sunday.

Actually I notied this book in their website earlier on but was in doubt whether it's still available or not. Glad to find it there.

This is the journey of Yvonne Foong, a Subang Jaya residents who was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis. I have never heard this word before this.

From what I gathered from the book, it's a type of nervous system illness. It causes tumour to grow in the body, anywhere and anytime.

Yvonne's health started to deteriorate when she was 13 years old. When she was finally taken to the hospital, she was diagnosed with NF2.

She undergo spinal surgery and brain surgery to remove the tumours that affect her everyday life. However, there are much battle to be done yet.

This book was written to raise fund in order to finance another of her surgery.

This is a very frank and emotional book on what she had gone through. Mentioned in the book was our Malaysian Government Hospital treatment and what she had encountered there. Also mentioned were all the good people who had helped her along the way.

And in publishing this book, she had encountered many rejection letter when she submitted the manuscript to the publishers. However, in her words , "when you keep knocking tirelessly on doors, someday, one door is bound to let you in."

What I like about this book is that it's written in a very calm and rational manner.

I have read quite a few "Biography" that are fill with self pity and written in such manner that makes me doubt whether "salt and pepper" been added into it. This is not one of such book.

I am not qualified to rate this book but I would highly recommend you to get a copy to read for yourself. It's amazing how calm she was when she was faced with so many obstacles.

6 comments:

  1. Hat off to Yvonne, she is right, "One door closed, and another bound to open..." She is a really strong and tough lady, I hv so much to learn frm her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a strong character, what a brave woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby's aunt have this sickness...she passed away liao...when she died, her body was full of all sort of cancer and tumour.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Do drop a comment if you have feel like it.

Meantime, happy reading and have a nice day!